Collingwood College offers a choice to students and parents seeking progressive and innovative state schooling and a safe, accepting and welcoming school environment where both primary and secondary-aged students can study.
This section of the website provides further detail about some of the teaching approaches and learning programs currently on offer.
Programs at Collingwood cover all of the key learning areas of the Arts, English, Health and Physical Education, Maths, Science, Studies of Society and the Environment and Technology and meet the requirements of the AusVELS.
For information on programs offered at each level of the school, visit the Primary and Secondary sections under ‘Our Programs’
If you have further questions about teaching and learning at Collingwood please contact the College Principal or one of the leadership team.
School events such as Open Days and Spring Fair are also a good time to find out more, or you are welcome to contact us to arrange a school tour.
College Newsletters are also an excellent way to get a feel for the school and its progressive and inspiring approaches to teaching and learning.
- is a Prep to Year 12 state school, the only one of its kind in the inner city making it an attractive option for families with children at both primary and secondary levels
- has achieved international accreditation with the Council of International Schools (Australia), one of only a handful of government schools in Australia to have such accreditation at the time.
- offers VCE, VCAL and VET programs to senior students and is establishing a design focus in its senior programs
- has small class sizes and good student teacher ratios, particularly at middle and senior levels, and offers a friendly and supportive study environment
- offers a Steiner program Prep to Year 10 and a Reggio Emilia-inspired program Prep to Year 5, programs which meet the needs of families seeking a more holistic and child-centred approach to education
- has an excellent track record of students succeeding in their transition from school to tertiary study or work
- is located just 10 minutes from the CBD and is well-served by trains, trams and buses
- has outstanding learning, sporting and performing arts facilities including a fully-equipped theatre and two gyms
- offers a range of co-curricular programs including the Kitchen Garden program, music instrumental programs, visual and performing arts and camping, outdoor education
- has programs to support all students, including extension, remediation, integration and English as an Additional Language (EAL) programs
- has an additional specialist campus, the Collingwood Alternative School, catering for students not well suited to conventional schooling or needing some time away from the mainstream.
- recognises and values the important role of parents, guardians and family in education and encourages them take part in their children’s education both at home and at school
- has a discipline system that is based on mutual respect and strives to create an atmosphere of serious study based on positive interpersonal relationships
- offers sound pastoral care and an environment where students and teachers get on well together and share a common commitment to learning
- is situated in pleasant surroundings with gardens, landscaped playing spaces and with a masterplan in place to support further enhancements to the buildings and grounds.