The College has a long and colourful history. The current school, and its precursor institutions, are an important part of the story of this vibrant inner-suburban community with connections dating back to the early days of Melbourne’s history.
In 2007, the College celebrated its 125th anniversary with the publication of a book The School on the Flat: Collingwood College 1882-2007, which was published and launched at the annual Spring Fair day in September 2007. $25 hardback copies are available from the school office or good local bookshops. This publication was expertly researched and written by historian John Young, a retired researcher from the National Centre for Australian Studies at Monash University, typeset and designed by parents and friends of the College, and produced as an attractive hardback book. Copies are available from the office or contact Amanda Collins.
Read Good old Collingwood – forever a recent article in The Age about the College’s 125th Anniversary. http://www.theage.com.au/news/education-news/good-old-collingwood–forever/2007/08/24/1187462516265.html?page=fullpage
Find out more about the history of Collingwood at the Collingwood Historical Society. http://www.collingwoodhs.org.au/
2008 Outcomes of a departmental review of the College made available. Many positive comments made about the school, including that it will remain as a Prep to Year 12 School. Lentil As Anything comes to the school canteen attracting much media interest.
2007 School celebrates its 125th Anniversary and the College history is written. 2005 Specialist Design program and joint VCE programs with Fitzory HS announced for senior students announced for 2007.
2004 The Reggio Emilia-inspired program begins.
2001 The Kitchen Garden program begins.
2000 The Steiner program begins.
1990 Collingwood Education Centre renamed Collingwood College.
1975 Collingwood Education Centre opens. The Centre was planned to combine primary, secondary and community education in the one group of buildings. Considered to be ‘leading edge’ in-terms-of concept and design, the College’s reputation for innovation has continued. The College is still a community hub with well-used sporting and theatre facilities, migrant English services, a language school and the office of Melbourne Youth Music.
1915-1935 Collingwood School of Domestic Arts for girls. Flora Pell, Principal of the School of Domestic Arts, was famous for her cookbook. More than 20 editions were printed.
1912 Cromwell Street State School joined Vere St.Right – The Cromwell Street buildings survive and are part of the current main campus. They were, built in the 1920’s after the original school building burnt down.
1882 Vere Street National School No 2462 was originally built to house over 500 pupils. Jack Ryder, a champion test cricketer, is a past student. He was known as the King of Collingwood.